About the Roadshow...

Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 3 - Arriving in Buckhannon, WV

Day three seemed to have time issues. First, I always trust my iPhone. Having traveled through many times zones and internationally, my iPhone ALWAYS know the local time. Except in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Today, I had the alarm set for 5:00 am and went off as planned, but for the fact it was 5:00 am in Texas, not Bowling Green. In Bowling Green is was 6:00 am so now I was already an hour behind. We scrambled to get out on the road and were rolling by 7:00 am. My normal driving day is 400 miles and today we had to do 450+ and now I was starting late. Darn.

The day was gloomy and rainy all the way through Kentucky and finally cleared as we entered West Virginia.

Lexington, was the icon I had in my minds eye when I think of Kentucky. Rolling green hills with white board fences and race horses, it was like a picture.

I need to cut this one short as tomorrow I start my training and need some sleep after a long day's drive.

MikroTIk Tip: Setting up SOCKS server

SOCKS (short for "SOCKetS") server is a proxy server for any TCP connections, not just HTTP. As SOCKS server can be set up on any port, it can be used to relay TCP traffic across a restricted network, which only allows certain TCP ports. This might be even a security policy regulation in your network for clients to use the proxy server (which can be set up with some kind of restriction table, additional access to otherwise inaccessible services as well as user activity logging facility) for some or all connections.

In RouterOS, the configuration of a SOCKS
server is really easy - just set the port, and select “enabled”.

RouterOS supports SOCKS version 4 Internet protocol with access control tables. The protocol can only be used for relaying TCP-based network traffic, e.g. HTTP, FTP, Telnet and others. It is not designed for caching data

To use the SOCKS server, either manually configure your web browser to use the SOCKS server as a proxy or create a firewall NAT rule to direct traffic to the SOCKS server.

No comments:

Post a Comment